League Prize 2007: Proof
Established in 1981 to recognize visionary work by young practitioners, The Architectural League Prize is an annual competition, lecture series, and exhibition led by the League and its Young Architects + Designers Committee.
As new building technologies and systems open up fresh possibilities and architecture’s scope expands, the unknown territory we occupy calls for proof.
Proof is process, not product. Architecture starts with speculation, but gains traction through the testing, checking, and rechecking that happen when work meets world. Here hypothesis, experiment, and demonstration weigh as much as the creation of form.
The winners included:
- Benjamin Aranda & Chris Lasch of Aranda/Lasch
- Carlos Bedoya, Wonne Ickx, Victor Jaime, & Abel Perles of PRODUCTORA
- Ivan Hernandez Quintela of ludens
- Chaewon Kim & Beat Schenk of UNI
- Dominic Leong, Jonathan Lott, & Brian Price of PARA
- Jinhee Park of SINGLE speed DESIGN
The year’s competition theme was developed by the 2007 Young Architects + Designers Committee, which comprised past League Prize winners David Benjamin, Dan D’Oca, and Lisa Hsieh.
The jury included Benjamin, D’Oca, and Hsieh, in addition to Michael Bell, Toshiko Mori, Calvin Tsao, and Sarah Whiting.
The competition is organized by The Architectural League’s program director, Anne Rieselbach.