Josep Lluís Mateo: Footprints
Current Work lecture by Spanish architect Josep Lluís Mateo.
March 27, 2018
Current Work is a lecture series featuring leading figures in the worlds of architecture, urbanism, design, and art.
Spanish architect Josep Lluís Mateo is a highly respected educator and publisher as well as a designer.
On March 27, he will discuss three cultural projects:
- Cultural Center of Castelo Branco, a dramatic form cantilevered over an ice skating rink in a small Portuguese city
- Film Theatre of Catalonia, whose simple concrete facade was designed to fit into its gentrifying Barcelona neighborhood
- Prague National Gallery Entrance Hall, a sensitive design for a museum entry in a historic Prague complex.
His built work ranges from multifamily housing in France to office buildings in Germany and the Netherlands. Current projects include:
- Nice Grand Arenas, Nice, France
- Montpellier Cité Créative, Montpellier, France.
A professor emeritus at ETH Zurich, Mateo was a visiting professor at Harvard’s Graduate School of Design in 2015. He has contributed to numerous books and journals, and is the author of 2007’s Textos Instrumentales and editor of 2012’s Middle East: Landscape, City, Architecture.
The lecture will be followed by a discussion moderated by Nader Tehrani, a principal of NADAAA and dean of The Irwin S. Chanin School of Architecture at The Cooper Union.
This program is supported, in part, by public funds from the New York City Department of Cultural Affairs in partnership with the City Council and the New York State Council on the Arts with the support of Governor Andrew Cuomo and the New York State Legislature.