The League’s monthly First Friday events are informal social gatherings that allow members to visit the offices of leading design practices and see work on the boards.
Join WORKac at its office for drinks, conversation, and a behind-the-scenes look at ongoing work. This First Friday will be split into two timed gatherings, one from 6:00 p.m.–7:00 p.m. and another from 7:30 p.m.–8:30 p.m. Members may RSVP (first come, first served) for their desired time slot. Members must arrive and depart within the window of their time slot.
WORKac is interested in “positing architecture at the intersection of the urban, the rural, and the natural.” Founded in 2003 by Dan Wood and Amale Andraos, the firm attempts to rethink architecture “in the world,” especially, “in the face of overwhelming challenges and increasingly normative scenarios.” In 2008, it was named an Architectural League Emerging Voice.
Current projects include:
- Rhode Island School of Design’s Student Center, a renovation and addition to RISD’s existing Prov-Washington Building, intended to create a new hub for students
- Marea, a residential development of 50 villas arrayed in four terraced rows stepping up from the Mediterranean just outside of Beirut
- Two villas comprised of stacked rectangular volumes situated in the sloping hills of Faqra, Lebanon.
Projects in development include:
- North Boulder Library, a full-service branch library in Boulder, CO
- Arizona House, an off-grid residence that references the “Earthship” building typology conceived in New Mexico in the 1970s.