The League’s monthly First Friday events are informal social gatherings that allow members to visit the offices of leading design practices and see work on the boards.
Founded in 1966, Silman has served as the structural engineering consultant on more than 23,000 projects. The firm values its collaborative working relationship with architects and focuses on structural engineering for both new construction and historic buildings. It has offices in New York, Washington DC, and Boston.
Silman seeks to make positive contributions to the built environment by facilitating inspiring integration between architecture and structure.
Current projects include:
- Krause Gateway Center, a corporate headquarters in Des Moines, in collaboration with Renzo Piano Building Workshop
- Long Island City’s Hunters Point Community Library, a collaboration with Steven Holl Architects
- The expansion of Harvard Graduate School of Design’s Gund Hall, in collaboration with Herzog & de Meuron and Beyer Blinder Belle.
Built projects include:
- Chipakata Children’s Academy, a primary school in Lusaka, Zambia for 14+ foundation, in collaboration with lead design principals Susan Rodriguez and Frank Lupo
- New Canaan, Connecticut’s Grace Farms, a collaboration with SANAA
- The Institute for Contemporary Art at Virginia Commonwealth University, a collaboration with Steven Holl Architects.