1927
League Moves Into Its New Headquarters

1927

The League’s clubhouse at 115 East 40th Street, a five story building with a bar, restaurant, galleries, studios, and apartments.

“With a distinct realization of the ever increasing scope and spheres of influence of the Architectural League of New York and the inadequacy of its quarters to provide for its administrative, educational, and recreational activities, many officers and members of the League have, during a number of years, endeavoured to arrive at a solution which might afford a temporary or permanent relief in this situation…[A] certain parcel of land on 40th Street, between Park and Lexington Avenues, may become available…This letter constitutes a direct appeal to every…member to [help support this effort], not as further evidence of his loyalty to the League but as his contribution to the broader educational principles in the unification of the Arts, for which the League is the outstanding exponent today.”
Letter to the members from Howard Greenley, May 19, 1927